Because it was my first local ice cream shoppe experience and love, I figured that I couldn’t be guaranteed that it was the best until I tried everything. Grand Ole Creamery has been around for over 27 years. They make their own ice cream creating their own flavors and treats. When you walk into the shoppe, you are welcomed with the scent of freshly baked waffle cones.
If there is one thing that is signature about Grand Ole Creamery is the the scent of waffle cones being made. They are made behind the counter right at the front door. The waffle cone smell is so overwhelmingly delicious that you can’t even smell the baking pizza from Grand Pizza that shares space with the Creamery.
Grand Ole Creamery is a smallish shoppe that has a chic, urban feel to it. Recess lighting is sporadic and the walls are painted a rich, deep red. It’s very welcoming and comfortable. You feel cool simply sitting at a table taking in the surroundings.
Many a St. Paul mayor is well visited there as well as Ed Asner. You never know if you will run into any local celebrities or national celebrities. But the ice cream alone is worth the trip to Grand Avenue. Their selection of flavors is completely unique to them. Here is what was in their freezer when we visited.
Here are the prices. The prices seem high, but it’s all relative….
since this is the size of a kiddie cone.
Their Black Hills Gold is legendary. Every cone they serve comes with a malted milk ball whether it’s on top or in the bottom of the cone. Personally, I like it on top because after having delicious ice cream, I don’t want to ruin the flavor in my mouth is a malted milk ball. Yet, I don’t want to waste a perfectly fine piece of candy. So I prefer the top. Plus, it’s cute.
The flavors we tried while at Grand Ole Creamery included
- Black Hills Gold–caramel ice cream with oreos and pralines and pecans
- Mac Daddy–butter pecan ice cream with oreos. This worked out perfectly for Princess Pea since she adores butter pecan and cookies ‘n cream.
- Foxy Lady–chocolate peanut butter ice cream with chocolate covered pretzels
- Cookie Monster–butter pecan ice cream with oreos and cookie dough. And it’s blue.
- Sampled flavors–Taro. Taro is a sweet potato type root. In the ice cream they include bubble teas. Honestly, I didn’t understand anything they said except sweet potato. But I thought since I was curious, I should give this purple ice cream a whirl. I was taken aback at how sweet it was, at how refreshing it was, and at how I was so tempted to order it for my cone. I didn’t, but if you are looking for something a little bit outside your norm, go for the Taro.
Let me just say that after these cones at 5:00 pm, no one was really hungry for supper.
750 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105
(651) 293- 1655
4737 Cedar Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Fri-Sat: 12-11:00 PM
Sun-Thurs: 11-10:00 PM
Fri: 11-11:00 PM
Sat: 11-11:00 PM