Across Hamline Avenue from Cretin Durham Hall School sits a little and yet absolutely fabulous iconic soda fountain called Lynden’s Soda Fountain.
With wood floors, chalkboard menus on the walls, candy jars lining the wall, and an authentic soda fountain (found in a basement at a church in St. Paul) to sit at, you are taken back to 1958 as you are served by actual soda jerks dressed in simple T-shirts and aprons tied around the waist. Comfortably fitting 3 families, Lynden’s makes you feel like you belong in the neighborhood!
The owners/operators of Lynden’s Soda Fountain worked to open just this spring of 2012. No detail was left out. Included in the menu are ice cream, sodas, egg creams, phosphates, and coffee. On all days except Monday, Mojo monkey donuts are served. You are probably wondering why they aren’t served on Mondays. The answer is simple. Lisa Clark (mojo monkey donut maker) is closed on Mondays.
While the root beer floats and shakes were beyond delicious looking, we were in pursuit of the ice cream cone. And ice cream cone we got.
- ultimate oreo: just what you would expect–amazing cookies and cream made with oreos
- butter pecan: my 5 year old ate this and unexpectedly loved it. It had a rich buttery goodness.
- cotton candy twist: no need to go to the carnival and eat cotton candy. In all it’s sweetness, it was refreshing.
- blue moon: in two words–fruit loops. It tastes JUST like fruit loops
- zoreo: zanzibar chocolate with marshmallow creme swirled throughout and oreos and chocolate chunks mixed in. A chocolate lovers DREAM!
I’m going to start ordered kiddie scoops. This summer of ice cream has been wonderful, but it’s already time I stop eating so much ice cream.