Izzy’s Ice Cream Cafe is probably one of my favorite stops in the Twin Cities. (It also doesn’t hurt that it’s next to Choo Choo Bob’s and so it’s a win win situation all around!)
Izzy’s ice cream is homemade artisan deliciousness. The retail store in St. Paul offers over 31 flavors of ice cream, sorbet, or non-dairy ice creams at any one time.
Let me tell you a little bit about Izzy’s.
- You can get a single or a double scoop. You can get a kiddie scoop. You can get it in a cone or a dish. The cones include cake cones, sugar cones, waffle cones, and over the top izzabella cone.
- An izzabella is a waffle cone desserted out to the max–waffle cone dipped in dark chocolate and almonds, with a specialty almond at the bottom, with a scoop of whipped cream and am oblaten cookie. It is filled with Izzy’s ice cream AND includes a ….get this….fortune!
- The scoops correspond with the different sized cones. So you can get a double scoop in a cake or sugar cone, or you can get a double scoop in a waffle cone. Different amount of ice cream equals a different price variance.
- You can get a plethora of frozen treats such as sundaes, izz-a-whirls (like DQ’s blizzards),banana split, root beer floats, frozen pops, izzadaes–need to learn about that).
- But the thing that makes Izzy’s special is the izzy scoop. So you order your ice cream single or double scoop or whatever you want. THEN, you can choose any other flavor you want and get a tiny scoop–about the size of a large walnut in its shell– on top. I’m talking any flavor. You can have a scoop of Strawberry and put a cookies and cream izzy on top. A scoop of key lime and a chocolate izzy. The combinations are endless.
- One of the most loved flavors is Salted Caramel. Pretty good stuff.
- One thing you won’t find on other menus are the hot dish or the Dizzy Izzy. The hot dish is the an izzy scoop of each of the 31 flavors of the day. The Dizzy Izzy is 5 izzy scoops in cup or a cone.
- While Izzy’s has some seating, the cafe is very small. You’ll find a better spot to sit in the chairs or tables along the sidewalk!
Izzy’s does not have the same flavors every day. I always go not knowing what kind of ice cream I will eat at this visit. However, if you need to know what is available ahead of time, you can go to Izzy’s website and click on the Flavor Up icon on the left. They update it every 3 minutes. Every time a new flavor gets added, it’s changed almost immediately on the website