“Nothing bad ever happens at Kiddywampus.”
And once you step in, you will see why! After traveling through snowy weather, driving my 5 year old to her knees in prayer to ask for safety, we made it to this exuberant burst of confetti.
This “store” took my breath away. Kiddywampus was established by Amy Saldanha in Edina in 2006 as a place for kids to come and be kids.
And she got it right!
Two years later, Kiddywampus moved from a small boutiquesh location to their current location on Excelsion Blvd in St. Louis Park. The building is very uniquely shaped. It has great big windows and from the outside it looks like a party!
It looks like a party from the inside as well! Amy called it an interactive toy store. It is. It has some specialty toys as well as the expected LEGOS, Calico Critters, and Groovy Girls. They have some unique learning toys and building toys. Craft supplies are in abundance as well as different types of journals. Seriously, I saw Mom’s 5 Second Journal, a mother/daughter journal, a girlygirl journal in one sweep of the sales floor; those are just the ones that I remember.
|Peekaboo, I see you.|
|This fun little display greets you
as you walk in the door!
Kiddywampus offers so much more than just toys to play with.
- os2–Open Studio 2–a room solely for the purpose of making whatever craft your children want to. That’s it! Is that not cool? All the mess can stay out of your house AND you don’t have to gather the arts and craft supplies. They are in os2 and completely accessible. Amy was telling us that during Valentine’s Day glitter is everywhere! And it’s not in my house! There is an $8 fee per child for an hour of time, but I would say it’s totally worth it.
- kiddie play— an indoor playroom you can reserve and rent for a small playgroup with at a fee per child. Once again, a nice place to come and play to change up your days in the winter stuck at home.
- The Studio–This is the most magical place of the entire Kiddywampus experience. As I walked in, I let out an audible gasp. First of all, there is an enormous tree that envelops the entire space! Also, in the Studio there is a magic wall. Amy told both Storygirl and Sir that this was the only place in the whole world that you can throw paint at a wall. The Studio is used for birthday parties, music classes, science classes, art classes, even adult corporate events. These classes fill up fast, so if you are interested, I would recommend calling immediately!
- Coat hooks! It is so much easier to enjoy a place without dealing with your children, your purse, and everyone’s coats. The hooks are at sweet peas & buddies’ level.
- The staff. While we were there, Amy (the owner) and her employee Jen were so attentive to us. We were enthusiastically greeted immediately upon entering the store. They were constantly ensuring the sweet peas & buddies were enjoying themselves. They made sure everyone was safe (poor Squirt fell and scratched his face on a table), and they insisted that we didn’t need to clean up after ourselves. Those words are paradise to a tired mama. They were so welcoming and kind and excited to meet us!
- Sale prices. Kiddywampus is an independently owned and operated. Usually that means everything is a little more expensive. When we were there, they were having a huge sale. Everything was 40% off or more, and it was very comparable to the big name toy stores.
- If you are coming West on Excelsior Blvd, you can’t really see Kiddywampus. It will be on your right, but it shares part of the building with a Salon or something. But to come from the East, you need to do a U-Turn to get to the parking lot.
- Apparently on Wednesdays and Thursdays, a weekly interactive music class that is extremely well-liked. It’s difficult on those days to find parking.
- Birthday parties are a little expensive, but for the service and experience you get, you will want to weigh its worth.
Kiddywampus is not like anything I’ve ever seen before. The words that best describe your Kiddywampus experience is sparkling, inspiring, vivacious, and animated. If you want your sweet peas &buddies to know these words first hand, Kiddywampus is the place to find that.