Taking a toddler on a road trip is only for the strong of heart.
To endure the screaming and the tantrums and the thrown bits of food….
And that’s only pulling out of the driveway.
You are trapped with this little tormentor for who knows how long, and so you think, “I know! Let’s put in a movie!”
However, you must remember that you cannot put in a feature length movie and expect to hold their attention for very long.
Good toddler movies consist of a few key components:
- Make sure it has lots of music and movement.
- The younger the toddler the more likely they won’t like to see real people. They would rather see dancing sharks or bears or dragons.
- Unless it’s a really good music video. Then, they could care less.
- Stick with really good and peppy music.
- Music that will drive you crazy after listening to it just twice.
- Keep in mind, the choice is between either going crazy because you have a screaming kid or going crazy because you have to listen to “Little Red Caboose” 50 times! What would YOU rather experience?
- Keep the videos short. It will hold their attention longer.
I’m so glad we have videos now. To think how I tortured my parents makes me shudder.