The tale begins of a 3 hour cruise…a 3 hour cruise…Chris and I frantically found some people to hang out with our kids so that we could go on this 3 hour cruise….a 3 hour cruise. For on this 3 hour cruise…a 3 hour cruise…Chris’s good friend Ben was getting married to a Minnesota girl (who grew up not far from ME!) and we were included in the small number invited to celebrate.
We sat down at our table and I started people watching…oh yes, every single one of the women were GORGEOUS! Gorgeous, I tell you. I was feeling like a frumpy old good for nothing mama. I know this was not true, but that’s what I was feeling. Tell me that you have never felt that way and I will call you a liar! Everyone I went to college with (whom I remembered well) did not remember me. They had met me, they had been in classes with me, and yet they did not remember me. Hello, I am invisible (which is highly ironic since I was very public being in student government–but we won’t go there. I already felt ugly, I didn’t need to draw attention to the fact that I don’t look like the person I was in college).
The wedding began and I got seasick. Good grief, this was going to be a long 3 hour cruise…a 3 hour cruise. Once the wedding ceremony was concluded, we were able to turn our chairs around and chat with the other guests. As we were turning our chairs around, I prayed, “God, I don’t feel pretty. Please help me to just be myself and enjoy myself and be a fun person.”
We turned our chairs around and VOILA! My prayer was answered since our table, Table 7, was the most hopping table at the wedding! Hopping because we were FREEZING! Hopping because we couldn’t stop laughing! And hopping because we couldn’t stop talking.
I learned so much at this wedding….
- Let me just say that college impressions can be very wrong. One of our classmate’s wife (who by the way was one of the most gorgeous people ever and had that honest southern sweetness) said he was a preacher, and I almost choked on my water. “Mike Harder? I would’ve never in a thousand years thought he would be a preacher. He was the cool guy at school who wasn’t into PREACHING.” Shows you what I know! Nothing! I, on the other hand, was not the cool girl at all. I was the dorky girl who everyone liked but was not cool at all. So I thought that I could make these judgement calls about everyone and that they were accurate! HA! HA! Joke’s on me, I guess! Here is a link to his church’s website and his sermons. I am super impressed.
- I was not the ugliest person on the boat. Not that I saw an ugly person, but I realized that I wasn’t that bad. I may not have picked the best outfit, but I’m not that hideous. I started looking at people and thought, “hmmm, I bet she hates her hair even though I think it’s pretty. Oh, she’s more average than I thought.” This is not because I was thinking they were ugly, but I realized that the boat was NOT filled with drop dead gorgeous models (except for Mike’s wife).
- Chris is awesome. When I started to get sick, he was too, but he never once complained. In fact, he helped me get some water and eat a few snacks. I didn’t even know that he had felt awful until we were in the car on the way to pick up our kids. Oh, yeah. I’ve got a good one.
- We were surrounded at our table by a Mike, Mike, Micah, and Mark. Chris was the only guy at our table that did not start with a M. (okay, so this is not something that I learned, but more that I realized)
- You can say no to food if you don’t want it. You don’t ahve to eat it. I shouldn’t have had cake, but I did. It wasn’t anything to write home about and I didn’t have to eat those calories, but yet I did. UGH!
- When I married Chris, I was marrying a stranger. At least a future stranger. I was committing myself to someone that I didn’t yet know and may not even like (luckily so far God has blessed me with liking him and vice versa–sometimes)
- I met Mark Miller! Do you guys know Mark Miller? yeah, I didn’t either. But now I do!
It was a great wedding! Congratulations, Ben and Kristi! And sorry I spelled your name wrong on your package, Kristi! I have a bad habit of doing that.
Especially on a 3 hour cruise…a 3 hour cruise!